Matthew Monk is a visual artist, graphic designer, and educator, currently serving as Academic Dean at Vermont College of Fine Arts in Montpelier, where he also serves on the faculty in the MFA in Graphic Design program. He taught previously for twenty years at Rhode Island School of Design as a tenured full professor. A native of North Carolina, Matthew holds an undergraduate degree from NC State University, and an MFA from Rhode Island School of Design. Matthew exhibits his collage and mixed-media works extensively, with work in collections across the US and abroad.
The content of my work has not been directly impacted by the pandemic. However, my day job as a college dean has become significantly more complicated and time-consuming due to Covid. As a result, my time in the studio has become much more necessary to my wellbeing. In addition, my art-making practice has always been directly fed by experiencing art in person in museums, galleries, and other artists’ studios, and of course the pandemic has brought that to a complete halt. I’m looking forward to seeing other people’s art again in person, and to reincorporating that inspiration into my practice.
- Writing Writing, Alphabetum, The Hague, Netherlands, 2021
- Winter White, Northern Daughters Gallery, Virgennes VT, 2021
- Backstory, Curated by Nel Emlen, Allyson Evans, and David Schutz, Kent Museum, Calais, VT, 2018
- Unbound: Vol VIII, Curated by Valerie Carrigan, Artistree Gallery, South Pomfret, VT, 2018
- Matthew Monk: Painting as Language, Vermont College of Fine Arts, Montpelier VT, 2017